Wednesday, July 13, 2005

An open letter to Senator Rick Santorum

Dear Senator.
I recently returned from a trip to Florence, Italy. I traveled there to see what life was like during the 14th and 15th centuries. After reading your breathtakingly ignorant remarks about the sexual abuse scandal in the Catholic church, though, I see I might have saved myself a couple of grand and stayed right here in America.
"When the culture is sick, every element in it becomes infected. While it is no excuse for this scandal, it is no surprise that Boston, a seat of academic, political, and cultural liberalism in America, lies at the center of the storm."
Oh I see! It wasn't the cover up, or the repression or the hostility toward sexuality in general! It was the liberals! Thanks for clearing that up!
You are the best example I could possibly find of 15th century Catholicism. Right at home with the fanatic Savanarola, you'd have been ripping the paintings out of Botticelli's hands to toss onto the Bonfire of the Vanities.
As an American and a member of a Catholic family, I'm ashamed to have you as a United States Senator. I wasn't paying any attention to the race for the Senate in Pennsylvania, but I sure will now. My next stop after this email is Bob Casey's Web site for a campaign donation.
See you in the middle ages Rick!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home